G-Force Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums of the G-Force Clan

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Archery, anyone?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
d_sparks

d_sparks

Archery, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Archery, anyone?   Archery, anyone? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 4:54 pm

So, is anyone here interested in archery at all? I'm part of a medieval reenactment group, and I've been studying and practicing medieval archery for several years now. We don't give two shits about modern, compound, or composite bows/arrows. Basically, if the technique/material/equipment/etc. existed over 700 years ago (and earlier) we use it for competition and love every minute of it.

In the society, we also have groups that concentrate on heavy combat, arts and sciences, and rapier combat... I'm currently trying to get involved in heavy combat as well, which basically consists of people wearing period accurate (meaning, it existed 700+ years ago) armor (made from steel and leather) and hitting each other with sticks and using shields as well. Here's a good example of sca combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQjh8EQ5h40

And rapier combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym9e7t9yrbI

(We rarely, in fact, NEVER do martial activities indoors. These videos were taken from other parts of the country. it ruins the atmosphere if it's done indoors...)

I'm also trying to get into combat archery, where you have to wear the armor and whatnot, only you shoot special arrows at other people trying to "kill them", and no these aren't nerf arrows or anything, they're solid rubber tips, which still hurt when you get hit with them.

The cool thing about the SCA is that you can choose your own medieval name (you have to have proof it would've been a real name), and you can create your own persona, and everyone tries to maintain a medieval atmosphere (no modern clothes, etc.) So you have to dress as your persona would've dressed. My persona is actually Norse (not Viking, common misconception) so I did research and found clothing patterns for cloths the early Norse (circa 900 AD) would've worn and we have created my period accurate clothes. I have shirts, hats, belts, pants, and coats that are accurate recreations of what would've actually been worn on a Norse man in Greenland over 1000 years ago.

Oh, and I forgot... at the end of each event day, we have a huge medieval style FEAST. We only rent out places that have huge halls we can use as a feast atmosphere, and we all have period feast gear (plates, cups, utensils, etc.) as modern gear is unacceptable (to maintain atmosphere). We all sit down at the tables and people bring out period accurate food that has been prepared using period acturate cooking methods, using period recipes. It's usually a 4-5 course meal, no one can ever eat all of what's served...

Anyway, in case anyone was wondering where I was this weekend: I was at an archery tournament where I WON and I was named baronial archery champion. So yay, it was a big weekend!

Last edited by d_sparks on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DirtyWienerDog

DirtyWienerDog

Archery, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archery, anyone?   Archery, anyone? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 1:56 am

Lol, I just competed in the nationals last weekend. I shoot modern longbow. Got a 401/1200, not too shabby.
Back to top Go down
[GF]<Mr.G>

[GF]<Mr.G>

Archery, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archery, anyone?   Archery, anyone? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 1:58 am

Congrats Sparks
Back to top Go down
d_sparks

d_sparks

Archery, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: modern longbow?   Archery, anyone? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 1:35 pm

what, if i may ask, consists of a "modern longbow" ? Like, the polyformed/laminated/fiberglass longbows?

I made my own longbow not too long ago out of some yew. I cut the shape, sanded it down, stained it and poly-coated it, but recently it shattered on me when I was drawing it back. It was my first attempt at making my own bow, and it cost next to nothing, so I'm not too upset about it.

I have two recurve bows that I use for competition, but since we're only studying with medieval technique and equipment, they're mostly wood with a little bit of fiberglass for longevity. granted fiberglass isn't period, but hey, we do the best we can.
Back to top Go down
DirtyWienerDog

DirtyWienerDog

Archery, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archery, anyone?   Archery, anyone? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 9:48 pm

It's modern longbow because it is crafted of bamboo and carbon fiber (The carbon fiber makes the bow modern), the two fastest available materials, and because I use aluminum arrows instead of wood (I like them to be consistent and aluminum flies faster).

I've been trying to find some carbon arrows so I can really fling those things fast, but I need a spine of 625, which nobody makes....

I'm waiting for the results now, I was one of at most 3 competitors in the New England area, so I stand a good chance of being regional champion, especially with a score like 401, kick ass! I just wish I had done as well the first day as the second, but oh well, next year I'm shooting for a 500.
Back to top Go down
[GF]<Mr.G>

[GF]<Mr.G>

Archery, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archery, anyone?   Archery, anyone? EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 4:04 am

I won a couple of paintball tournaments Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DirtyWienerDog

DirtyWienerDog

Archery, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archery, anyone?   Archery, anyone? EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Yay G!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Archery, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archery, anyone?   Archery, anyone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Archery, anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
G-Force Clan :: General Off Topic Discussion-
Jump to: